Sunday 17 August 2014

Do you remember Sandra Dickinson??

Well do you?  

She was the blonde woman in the 1986 Prestige advert with Peter Davison.

What on earth is she talking about now you may be asking?  Or perhaps you weren't even born in 1986!

I cast my mind back to this wacky advert starring a blonde woman with a twangy American accent who was speaking to her husband out of a weird TV watch contraption saying; "You can put the dinner on, I'll be home in twenny minutes". 

It's funny the things that stick in our minds.  At the time I remember being totally wowed by this phenomenon.  The idea of someone being able to speak to someone else through a TV or computer was so mind boggling for an eleven year old girl in the technologically devoid eighties.

Now such an idea would have no impact on us.  We do such things all the time with the age of webcams, Skype, Facebook Video, phone video call and an endless list of other apps and programs that fit the purpose. 




When it came to mind earlier today I drew on two resources to remind me of the name of the actress and the product being advertised.  That's right, I didn't remember all the facts straight off the bat, I had help!

I asked my Dad, who also remembered it well, and informed me that it had featured Sandra Dickinson.  With this information now at hand I researched it on google and was able, not only to find out everything I needed to know about the advert, but also to watch it on youtube!  

Of course it no longer held the same appeal as we now use this kind of technology every day.

Today was one of those weird days when you remember events and people from the past.  I think this probably had something to do with yesterday's blog where I thanked all those who had impacted my life and my faith in a positive way.

Writing about people who I hadn't thought about for many years encouraged me to reconnect where possible.  Using the internet I was able to do that to a certain degree.  

One friend, Rowan, who I had studied with at Royal Holloway, immediately contacted me about my quest to be reunited with our mutual friend Liz Cornwell.  Sadly the news caused me much sorrow as Liz had passed away two years previously from leukaemia.  

As my tears flowed I vowed never to lose contact with my friends ever again.  There is no excuse for not keeping in touch with the internet so close at hand.  Distance is no longer a valid reason in the current age.  

So next time an old school or uni friend or even a distant member of my family pops up on FB chat I will make the first move, write the first word.  Even just liking someone's post or a friend's family photo will be enough to keep them in your mind and you in theirs.  

There is so much good to be achieved through the internet and social media, we must not allow ourselves to be manipulated into believing that these wonderful gifts are tools of the devil.  For "we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28) if we just let Him have access into every part of our lives.  


Dear Lord,

God of all things, seen and unseen, who knows our hearts and our minds, who loves us as His own children.  We worship and adore you.  I pray that you will send your Holy Spirit as a constant reminder of your omniscient presence in my life.  Renew my mind and fill me with your light that will shine as a lamp to my feet and guide me in all I do.  Be at the centre of my world and help me to glorify you through my words and actions, through the love I show my friends and family, my acquaintances and even those who persecute me.  Father God, I pray that you will give me the opportunity to reach out to the world and share your love through the awesome creation that is the internet and harness it's global power to spread your Gospel of Peace across the globe.    

In Jesus' Name I pray,

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment