Wednesday 30 July 2014

Put your Zest to the Test

Have you ever tasted a lemon?

Did that question bring to mind a sudden oozing of the taste buds.  I know it did for me!

Lemons have an unmistakable zesty zap that cannot fail to leave a memorable impression on anyone who tastes them.  When a toddler first tastes that zingy flavour their expression is priceless.  




Isn't it fabulous to be able to make such a lasting impression.  Though some of us may not relish the idea of our second bite of the lemon, the unmistakeable flavour could not be described as unpleasant, just a little too intense for the more mild mannered of us who prefer to live the teeniest bit closer to our comfort zones. 

I always think that the word lemon has been so misused throughout the history of Western society and still is today.  If I was to describe myself as "a real lemon", the image conjured up by many would be that of someone defective or useless.  

I rather prefer to imagine the taste of a lemon; that highly recognisable and clearly distinguishable flavour that sets your taste buds reeling.  I like to think that I have that zesty nip to my own personality and hope that when I interact with someone, whatever walk of life they are from, that I will touch their life in a special and memorable way.  

Today whilst out and about with my Dad and son Xavier we came across a wonderful little cafe that had been open only a few weeks.  In the ever expanding community of Hawkinge in Kent, nestled at the end of a new attractively built commercial and residential development was a delightful nook called "Zesteas".  

That splendid citrus sensation immediately came to mind as I read the swirly sign, and on entering the small yet spacious cafe I wasn't to be disappointed.  There was a definite freshness and desire to inspire.  With food and drinks prepared to order by the friendly proprietor and his smiling assistant who both chatted to us and made us feel quite at home, we enjoyed mouth watering panninis, creamy cappuccinos and a specially prepared slice of delectable cheese on toast for my son.



Happy with our zest!

So, zesty by name and zesty by nature, this sparkling gem of deliciousness, friendliness and  cost effectiveness in the hub that is Hawkinge was certainly somewhere that will stay in my heart, as are the people that I had the privilege to meet there.  Hopefully my own special brand of lemon zest will also keep me in their minds, maybe they will even read this blog.


Dear Lord, 

God of the earth and the heavens, who reigns over us and who abides in us and we in Him, through the love of Christ who died for our sins.  Our gracious God who is merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, who poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us as a comforter, a helper and an advocate, who engraved each of us on the palms of His hands.

Lord I thank you for giving me the ability to inspire others, through my writing, my music, my teaching and my vision.  I give you all the glory Lord, for what you have done for me and for your inspiration in my life.

I pray that you will never allow pride to overtake me and that although I need and seek out your approval and the approval of those who care about me that I will not become over inflated like the yeast of the Pharisees and that all I do will be done in your name and to honour and glorify you my Lord, my God, my precious Saviour.

I thank you for the words of encouragement you have given me about my life and my calling, through your Word, through visions, dreams and prophecy and for your guiding light as a lamp to my feet.

I pray that I will faithfully obey your voice Lord, being careful to follow all your ways and the inspiration that you have put in my heart, for I know that you will set the faithful high above all the nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon me if I obey your voice oh Lord. For your word says "Blessed we shall be in the city, and blessed we shall be in the field." (Deuteronomy 28:3) We shall be blessed over all people.

Lord I thank you for revealing the true nature of leadership to me through the book of Nehemiah who clearly demonstrated the three main principles so important for successfully managing large scale projects; co-ordination, co-operation and commendation. 

I thank you Lord for showing me the great things done by ordinary men and women in the bible who had a passion for doing your work.  For revealing to me how I can use the gifts and talents that you have bestowed on me to glorify your Kingdom and rebuild like Nehemiah.  

I thank you for giving me that zest that sets me apart and gives me the courage to step outside my comfort zone just as Nehemiah did when he left his position as cupbearer to the King to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

I pray that more people will test their zest and leap into the unknown in order to find a real heart to do great things for God.  

In Jesus' name I pray,

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment