Sunday 27 July 2014

Into the woods

Every day, since coming to Kent for the summer, I have taken a walk in the woods.
Sometimes we walk through the woods just to get to the park the other side. 
Other times we would do a circular walk through the woods with Mum's little Daisy dog.
Each day we walked the same paths, and yet, each day there was something different.  Or maybe I just noticed something that I didn't notice before.




It's just like music really. Every time you hear a piece of music you hear something that you didn't hear before.  Some extra instrumental timbre or harmony or even the tiniest of immeasurable nuances.  

Every time you sing a song, recite a poem, play a violin concerto or read a story, you will do so in a slightly different way, or in a totally different way.  Perhaps the situation you find yourself in will play a great influence, or the people you are with.  But however you do it, it's your interpretation, it's your own moment of uniqueness.

This morning I had the honour and the privilege to share a short testimony during the service at Life Church, the church I mention in my first blog post which was responsible for the billboard posting "Maybe God is real", which inspired me to seek a relationship with our awesome, ever loving God.  

I was asked to speak for 3 minutes only so whilst I was telling the congregation of the importance their sign board had played in my journey to Salvation I was also sending up my own little prayer-o-gram to our good Lord to give me something to share with them from my own testimony that would only take 2 to 3 minutes.  And then it came to me!  The beautiful story which had been sent to me by my dear friend Jc Linde to encourage me on my walk with Jesus at a particularly challenging point in the early stages of my faith.  

Just as predicted I told the story in a slightly different way this morning. Here is the original version that was such an inspiration to me at a time when I was questioning why God had let me struggle for 38 years when I could have been using my gifts to worship and glorify Him for my whole life.


The Fern and the Bamboo

One day I decided to quit.... I quit my job, my relationship, my spirituality.. I wanted to quit my life. I went to the woods to have one last talk with God.
"God", I said. "Can you give me one good reason not to quit?"
His answer surprised me...
"Look around", He said. "Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"
"Yes", I replied.
"When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.
In the second year the Fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo".
He said. "In the third year, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed.
But I would not quit.
In the fourth year, again, there was nothing from the bamboo seed.
But I would not quit.
He said. "Then in the fifth year a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern it was seemingly small and insignificant.
But just 6 months later the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the five years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive.. I would not give any of my creations a challenge it could not handle."
He said to me. "Did you know, my child, that all this time you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots. I would not quit on the bamboo. I will never quit on you. Don't compare yourself to others."
He said. "The bamboo had a different purpose than the fern, yet, they both make the forest beautiful.."
"Your time will come," God said to me. " You will rise high!"
"How high should I rise?" I asked.
"How high will the bamboo rise?" He asked in return.
"As high as it can?" I questioned.
"Yes." He said, "Give me glory by rising as high as you can."
I left the forest and brought back this story.
I hope these words can help you see that God will never give up on you.......
Never regret a day in your life.
Good days give you Happiness
Bad days give you Experiences.
Both are essential to life.
Keep going...
Happiness keeps you Sweet,
Trials keep you Strong,
Sorrows keep you Human,
Failures keep you Humble,
Success keeps You Glowing,
But Only God keeps You Going!




Sovereign Lord,

You are far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.  Every knee shall bow at the name of Jesus whose blood was shed for us all for the forgiveness of our sins.

We are not worthy and yet you make us worthy, we are unrighteous and yet you make us righteous.  Through your Holy Spirit we are filled with the same power that healed the sick, drove out demons and raised the dead to life.  

Thank you for the powerful way in which you are using me to inspire others.  Thank you for this wonderful story that you sent to encourage me in my darkest hours.  

Thank you that we all have a different purpose in the Kingdom of God and that not one is above the other.  Just as it says in Romans 12:4 "our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function", likewise with the fern and the bamboo. 

We thank you that we do not need to compare ourselves to others.  The bamboo took 5 years to grow roots.  I took 38 years.  I pray that those who find their faith later as I have done will not feel frustrated, angry or bitter for we know that you will use them mightily.

I thank you for giving me a spirit of boldness, for this is something that I can now use to glorify and honour you, Father God.  

I pray that you will continue to use me to unite the churches in Bahrain through music and the arts and that I will only act according to your perfect will and timing.  I pray for your presence in all I do and that you will send your Holy Spirit to guide me in all decisions of importance and that I will not let myself be overcome by the problems of the world.

In Jesus' Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment